First International Arctic Media Forum
Date: October 20-23, 2013
In 20-23 October, 2013 the Northern (Arctic) Federal University named after M.V. Lomonosov (Arkhangelsk) holds the First International Arctic Media Forum. The event is held in the Year of Environment in Russia and is dedicated to the third anniversary of NArFU.
The forum will bring together representatives of leading Russian and international media, experts in the field of Arctic research and development. They will discuss problems of the Arctic and connected topics.
The forum is organized by the Northern (Arctic) Federal University named after M.V. Lomonosov, the Russian Geographical Society, National Park “Russian Arctic”, the administration of the Nenets Autonomous District, the Government of the Arkhangelsk region, Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring.
Our partners – “Rossiyskaya Gazeta”, RIA Novosti, the Agency of Business News and World Wildlife Fund.
The Northern (Arctic) Federal University named after M.V. Lomonosov is the largest scientific and educational center in the North-West of Russia that is engaged in Arctic research. Currently NArFU is the only Arctic federal university in Russia. NArFU is implementing a number of important projects aimed at Arctic research and development of the Arctic.
The journalists will be able to ask some questions to experts who specialize on the Arctic issues. The main topics are ecology, resources of the Arctic, life of indigenous peoples, international cooperation in the Arctic region, personnel training, expeditions, the Northern Sea Route, etc.
Furthermore some successful media projects will be presented on the forum. This event will establish a more effective dialogue between experts and Russian mass-media, as well as between mass-media from different countries. The forum will also give impetus to the new information projects.
- An attempt to understand the global processes affecting public awareness of the Arctic issues, as shaped by mass media.
- Analysis of successful outreach projects covering the Arctic theme.
- An opportunity to launch new outreach projects.
- A platform for discussion of the Arctic theme, targeting effective information exchange and participated by leading Russian and international media and experts in the study and development of the Arctic.
- Demonstration of the rising interest of the media in the Arctic theme.
- Promotion of the international cooperation between mass media sources, of Arctic-related experience and knowledge exchange.